College Student Passes Away After Eating 5-Day-Old Leftover Pasta


‘AJ’ was a 20-year-old college student who died after eating some leftover spaghetti. It was cooked only 5 days before he reheated it for a meal. The spaghetti was left out on the counter for around 2 days then put in the fridge for another 3 days by his roommate.


Dr Bernard posted the story on his YouTube channel. According to Dr. Bernard, AJ heated the pasta in the microwave to eat for lunch but didn’t realize it was 5 days old

Shortly after eating the pasta, AJ started feeling poorly. He was suffering from headaches, abdominal pain, and nausea.

Things continued to get worse over the next few hours. AJ was soon throwing up but he thought it was just food a bad case of food poisoning. He took medicine, drank a lot of water and went to bed. When he work up later, however, he was in a pool of sweat and went to get sick.

AJ’s roomate went to check on him and found he had passed out in the bathroom. An ambulance was called to take AJ to the hospital, but he died.

It was discovered in the post mortem that he had a type of food poisoning, Bacillus Cereus, which creates toxins in the body. It can also cause diarrhea and vomiting.

In addition to the bacteria, the medication AJ took had damaged his liver, which was already in bad shape because of the bacteria from the pasta he had eaten.

AJ’s case is from 2008 and was a feature article in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

Dr Bernard said that there have been some cases similar to this in the past but they are few and far between. It isn’t common for the patient to die ‘within hours’ after showing up with the symptoms.

He said: “It is important to note that this is not a typical food poisoning case. Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they’re fine. But be careful of food left out for more than a few hours. If the food smells funny, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.”



log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in