This story is an uncomfortable reminder of every parent’s worst possible nightmare: watching your child scream in pain and having no ability to help them feel better. For Natalie, this was no mere nightmare….this was her real life. Her daughter Natasha was all of seven years old when she woke up one day feeling under the weather.
Natalie is a nurse by trade and while the child’s 104 degree fever and headache were slightly disconcerting, her mother believed that her illness was merely a garden variety form of sickness. However, once she noticed a lump on her temple that was discolored and steadily growing, it was time to see the doctor.
The doctors looked the child over, determined that she was merely experiencing a spider bite and sent her home with some medication. Once she returned home, the condition only continued to worsen and and Natalie had never seen a child’s illness escalate this quickly in her entire career.
Realizing that time was of the essence, she took the child to a different hospital so that she could consult with various specialists. Sadly, all of them were at an absolute loss as to how this condition took place and were unable to offer any real help on fixing it.
Eventually, they came to the proper conclusion that the child was suffering from Lyme disease and while she had become paralyzed in the meantime, the doctors found the right medication and were able to save her in the nick of time.
She’s at home resting at the moment and she still has a long road of recovery ahead of her. Natalie is using this story as a reminder for parents about the importance of taking all ailments seriously, no matter how minor they may seem. A little bit of prevention goes a long way, so please share this story with friends and family to spread awareness.