If you see a random tennis ball on the ground make sure to keep your dog away from it



Police officers in Kent, Washington have issued a warning to all dog owners in the surrounding areas. If they see a random tennis ball around make sure to keep your dog as far away from it as possible!

CBS News reported that people are putting fireworks into tennis balls and launching them into the air. The result is a giant bomb that explodes, but the real issue is that people are leaving extra fireworks-filled tennis balls on the ground without lighting them. This causes them to be land mines to dogs if they aren’t handled with care.

Tennis Ball Close Up preview image

The police department warns:

“A tennis ball bomb is very easy to identify. It is a real tennis ball that has some sort of fuse sticking out of it. The tennis ball could also be completely wrapped in duct tape with a fuse sticking out.” CBS News tells dog owners and individuals

If you see a tennis ball on the ground, your best bet is to stay far away from it and dial 911.

See how the tennis ball bombs are made and what happened when a dog picked one up in his mouth on the next page.

“Some of them are very effective and dangerous, and some of them don’t work, but you don’t know,” Jarod Kasner, public information officer for the Kent Police Department in Washington state, told CBS News.

“People light them, leave them thinking it’s a dud, but who knows what’s happening on the inside. Then a dog comes and picks it up…”

tennis+balls+dogs+two

Washington isn’t the only state dealing with this issue. Apparently teens across the country are doing this with their leftover Fourth of July fireworks.

Back in 2000, a dog in Portland, OR had one of the bombs explode in its mouth. After the devastating accident, the dog was so severely injured it had to be put down.

“If it doesn’t go ‘boom’ some people just walk away from it,” Kasner said. “Unfortunately, dogs pick up everything up in their mouth and bring it to you…”

make-tennis-ball-smoke-bomb.1280x600

How scary is this! To make sure your dogs and children are safe, make sure to check out the news report on the next page. The video is SHOCKING!

“It could be smoldering on the inside and when you move it around that’s when it goes off,” Kasner said.

“If you see a ball or any other household item that looks burnt or has a wick or tape attached to it, don’t touch it, police warn,” CBS reports.

Please SHARE THIS WARNING with all your friends on Facebook to make sure it doesn’t happen to their child or their dog.


log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in