Rescue dog dies after suffering heart attack from being terrified by fireworks


Guy Fawkes Night fireworks can be a great way to celebrate the occasion. Unfortunately for one British dog rescue center, they can also lead to major issues. This story took place during one fateful night at the center when fireworks were going off outside and they were doing their best to keep their charges safe. Eventually, they believed that it was safe to step outside.


The dogs were allowed to head outdoors to use the bathroom. Winston was one of these dogs and the staff believed that it would be safe for the eight year old Moscow watchdog. Little did they know what would end up happening next. Winston had struggled with abuse in the past and did not do well with loud noises. More fireworks went off and he ran away to hide under the decking.

The other dogs were rounded back up and made it inside. Poor Winston never did. He was found dead the next morning. It is believed that the dog suffered from a heart attack. He had been rescued from his past owners and was taking medication for a heart condition. Emma Billington is the owner of the center. She spoke out about his tragic death.

She said that he had spent his whole life suffering at the hands of various human beings. It is sad to think that he was never given a chance to enjoy a truly happy forever home. Since the center is located “in the sticks”, Emma is unsure where the fireworks were coming from. She wants people to know these types of displays are not necessary.

Your fireworks exhibition may be a lot of fun in the moment but these types of shows come at a cost to the world around you. Winston was forced to pay the ultimate price because of someone else’s negligent behavior. The good people at Manchester Dogs 4 Rescue are urging those who reside near the shelter to stop setting off fireworks in the area.

This seems like a simple enough request, doesn’t it? Animals do not have to be the casualty of human celebrations and we are saddened by Winston’s story. Please take the time to share this tale with others, so that other dogs do not have to suffer in the same manner as he did. Take time to visit the RSPCA website if you need any further information on the topic.

Posted by Dogs 4 Rescue on Monday, November 5, 2018



log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in