Emily Shanahan seemed to have it all together. As a mother of 2 beautiful babies and a healthy pup, it’s hard to believe things could go downhill so quickly.
But they did.
Suddenly, Shanahan started to see changes in the health of her bulldog, who was only 3 years old. The dog, Mortimer, began to get nauseous before meals and was vomiting frequently. At first, it was thought to be acid reflux but when the problem got worse, she knew something was wrong.
After taking Mortimer to the vet, a prescription for nausea medicine was given but things still got worse. Mortimer would not eat now, so she took him back to further diagnose the problem.
That is when something shocking was discovered. The Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts did an x-ray and it was found acid reflux was not an issue. It was actually the almost 20 pacifiers lodged in his gut.
It seems that Mortimer had been dining on those rubbery snacks for quite some time. He was prepped for surgery right away. After the dog was sedated, the vet pulled the pacifiers from his digestive tract using a non-surgical procedure, known as endoscopy.
‘If not for the urgency with which his family pursued veterinary care, things would have gotten much worse for him,’ said Dr. Doug Brum, Mortimer’s primary veterinarian.
Shanahan still had a hard time believing what she saw. ‘Even though I have two small children at home, I’d never imagined he was eating pacifiers!’
You’ll be happy to know that Mortimer is a healthy and happy pup now that the pacifiers have been removed.
You might be surprised to learn that this kind of thing happens frequently. According to the vets at Angell Animal Medical Center, many different objects have been removed from animals. Those objects include guitar strings, wristwatches, safety pins, diamond rings, perfume bottles, and more.
If your dog begins to act strangely, don’t wait to take them to the vet. Have them checked out right away.