You’re probably one of the many people who don’t think twice about pouring leftover pickle juice down the drain once you’ve finished the jar. But why waste it when there’s so much you can do with it? Here are 15 great ways to put that liquid gold to use.
1. Make more pickles. Place sliced cucumbers or other vegetables into pickle juice, put the jar back in the fridge for a few days, and you’ll have easy refrigerator pickles.
2. Relieve an upset stomach. Probiotics produced in fermented foods such as vinegar may improve digestion. And because vinegar is a primary ingredient in pickle juice, it may help your upset stomach.
3. Treat a hangover. Drinking pickle juice may replace electrolytes and fluids lost from a night of drinking. Just make sure you’re drinking water as well.
5. Replenish electrolytes. Pickle juice contains electrolytes and it’s a great way to replenish potassium and sodium levels.
6. Reduce heartburn. The next time you’re experiencing heartburn, try a spoonful of pickle juice and you’ll probably be surprised at how much it helps.
7. Treat a sunburn. The Kitchn claims pickle juice provides instant relief and a cooling sensation once it’s applied to sunburnt skin.
8. Improve recipes. You can use pickle juice to marinate tofu or meat, give bread or fries extra flavor, or even add it to butter.
9. Keep ice off your sidewalk. The salt content in pickle juice is high enough to melt ice, meaning it can help keep your walkways clear.
10. Get rid of bad breath. The healthy bacteria in pickle juice may kill odor-causing bacteria in your mouth.
11. Kill weeds. The vinegar in pickle juice has a high enough acidity that it can kill most weeds. What’s even better is that it could help flowers that require highly acidic soil thrive.
12. Reduce muscle cramps. Salt in pickle juice is easily and quickly absorbed by our bodies, meaning a faster reduction in muscle cramps.
13. Make copper pipes and pans shine. Chip and Joanna Gaines from “Fixer Upper” have used pickle juice to clean copper in the houses they renovate, and it seems to work like a charm!
14. Soothe a sore throat. Gargle or drink a spoonful or two of pickle juice several times a day.
15. Stop hiccups. Some swear by pickle juice as a cure for hiccups. It’s definitely worth a try!
Who knew pickle juice was so useful? Which of these tips will you try first?